THE HISTORY OF MCD
MCD built the flood protection system between 1918 and 1922. The original system includes five earthen dams, channel improvements and levees in Piqua, Troy, Tipp City, Dayton, West Carrollton, Miamisburg, Franklin, Middletown and Hamilton.
Construction of MCD’s flood protection system was completed in an amazing five years, from 1918-1922. The Miami Conservancy District's flood protection system was the largest public works project in the world of its time. It employed a workforce of more than 2,000 people. The cost of the flood protection system was more than $30 million. Careful attention to planning, financing, legislation and implementation resulted in the most comprehensive flood protection system in the nation.
Since completion of the original system in 1922, the dams have stored floodwaters more than 1,800 times.
MCD has built several other flood protection projects at the request of communities that had been subjected to flooding, including Miami Villa, Miami Shores, Excello, Coleman Plat, Lower Stillwater. MCD also helped complete an addition to the Middletown levee system. The residents of these areas and local governmental agencies paid for these construction projects.